Painting on Leather

Yes, you can paint on leather and leather-like surfaces.  Here's how I do it, with thanks to Betty Jo Evans for the tip.

Using JoSonja Artist Grade Acrylic Paints by Chroma and JoSonja Textile Medium. I put a dollop of Textile Medium on my palette, and then picked a little up in each brush load.  You can begin by dressing the brush in the Textile Medium, and then picking up the paint.  This will thin the pigment a bit.  Paint your design....  When finished and dry, paint another layer of clear Textile Medium over just the design part.

Here's another example.  The shoes were just a tad too bright when they arrived in the mail.  Since I hadn't been wearing them,  it seemed like a good idea to make them more adaptable to my liking as they are very comfy.  Can you tell which one was the original?

In this case I thinned the paint a bit more with Textile Medium because I wanted a bit more transparent color.  Then I added the design.  After wearing the shoes a couple of times and scuffing the toe, I repaired them and added a coat of JoSonja Polyurethane Matte Varnish over the whole shoe.  That has seemed to wear better.  Here they are finished:

Let me know how you like them, and if you have a scuffed or unworn pair of shoes in your closet, you may want to get them out and play!

Comments