Story of a Tea Set

For Design class at JoSonja's Folk Art Studio this year, we were asked to bring a mismatched tea set, all prepped and ready to paint.

Prep:  washed, sanded, and sealed with two coats of All Purpose Sealer, or Undercover (both in the JoSonja medium line).  I used the Undercover in white, since I wasn't sure what color I would choose for the base coat.  

Naturally, I prepped several more pieces than I thought I might need, for "just in case" there was extra time or inspiration.  Our challenge was to paint the set so that all the pieces coordinated.

Celebration Tea Set ©Vicki Allwardt 2013

We began with a session of brainstorming.  What could be the purpose of a tea pot?  String holder,  birdhouse, sewing kit?  Many ideas offered. Then we talked about what  might be some themes for our tea set.  There were at least twenty named, but I clicked with the word party, from the obvious tea party suggestion.  At first I was thinking birthday party.  I jotted down a list of what might be painted on the set,
presents, forks, music notes, confetti, cakes or slices of cake, cupcakes; I had quite a list. 

Then I thought, don't limit it to birthday, this could work for showers, anniversary, any kind of party.  So I ditched many of the ideas.

JoSonja showed us a bowl of silk ribbons that she had brought in to help inspire us with color.  I laid out several that I really liked.  So, when it came time to start, I based the tea pot with a bright medium green called "Seedlings."   





Thinking about the ribbons and "party" I picked some colors, and began to paint.  I picked up the little creamer first and painted the face while letting other ideas gel.  Eventually the set above came to life.  The girl with the feather is jumping for joy and clapping, while the little dog is suspended by a balloon.
 

Celebration Tea Set ©Vicki Allwardt 2013
On the back is a little parade with a girl holding a flag lettered with "Celebrate!"  The tray needed to stay a bit quiet with all the busyness of the pieces.  It needed to be a color that would support the pieces yet not complete.  The scrolls are in Rose Gold metallic, and also have some words tucked in, "sing, laugh, share, celebrate."

So the party set is finished, and ready to be put to use!  

It was such a fun class, and there were no two sets or themes alike.  Now I am inspired to do more metal pieces of any kind :-)

Comments