Decorative Painting--Florals Day 5

Here we are, all through for the week.  Students for the next class are arriving, we are packing and clearing out.  Many will be staying for next week as well.

We glazed the lid of the tea box, and worked on the new floral technique on the underside of the lid.  It is a sort of sketchy type of technique involving dry brushing.  It almost crosses over to water color.  Jo is trying to decide what to call the technique so people will understand what it is.  We weren't a lot of help as it is a hard technique to describe.  It is lovely and can be quite soft.  I will try to post a picture of it on Monday.

While we were painting, Jo told us how she began as a painter.  I think someone asked her what started her on this path.  Her first teacher was at an adult education center, and that dear teacher traveled 1000 miles a week, doing a circuit of the classes.  Can you imagine?  Thank goodness she did make that effort.  She had learned to paint on the east coast and was familiar with the styles of the HEAD Society, which is still in operation, faithfully publishing books on early American folk art.  I don't think I have that name right, I'll correct that later too as I have several of their books at home.  It was a pleasant afternoon, and a good time was had by all!

Thank you to all who wrote and told me they enjoyed the blog.  I'm going to try to keep it up at least weekly.  Here's one more pic of a lovely tea set that was painted by JoSonja.

Comments