Day 3/JoSonja's West Coast Sampler Class

Still typing away here! Today I finished my Hindeloopen School Box. Jo brought in the prototype for ours which she had purchased in Holland. Ours was made exactly the same. At first I assumed it was a "decorative" interpretation, but apparently children did carry these boxes with the slide off lid; precursers to our backpacks so to speak. There are special decorative holes at the top through which straps were attached and the children could carry them or sling them over a shoulder. They could be painted or not, but wouldn't you want your child to have their own "special" school box decorated in Dutch traditional painting?

Most Hindeloopen (this is an area of Holland for which this style is representative) is done in a very toned palette. I brightened mine just a smidge while some others have really jazzed their color up. Instead of Willow (dull soft yellow green) background, I've seen Oakmoss with Napthol Crimson roses painted on it, and Moss Green (bright yellow green) with a Napthol Red Light/Rose Pink rose. The whole piece is very nice. Everyone liked painting the bird, and the complaining started with the roses as you may guess.

As you may guess, we had a very full day with this painting. Only a couple of us finished. JoSonja says that the Hindeloopen is very casually painted, so I took her at her work and painted fast. I now have two projects finished and that is probably a personal best! I do have my camera with me, but neglected to bring the USB cord, so you'll have to wait for some photos. Sorry about that!

Tomorrow (is it Thursday already???) we will start the "St. Nicholas of the Snows" sled. This is a large piece that almost resembles a tray, so would be very handy pressed into use for serving as well as a nice decorative piece.

We're not happy with the Clarion's dinner offerings tonight. Beans for the third day in a row?? Guess I'll leave a little evaluation form filled out. Last Feb. it was pretty nice. Brekkie is always good though. Speaking of food--Noella brought in her old family recipe of antipasto. Yummm. She says Billie Colley has the master copy of the recipe, so I'll try to snag a copy tomorrow. We had a good rain last night, gray morning, lots of afternoon wind, and now sunny again...or at least it was until it got dark outside :-)

That's it for today...
Vicki

Comments