Day 1/JoSonja's West Coast Sampler Class


Whew, shorter note tonight. We're finishing the Owl and the PussyCat tomorrow and starting the Hindeloopen piece, but that still leaves two more projects.  The Santa sleigh and the floral tray...hey, that rhymes!  

Since I wasn't painting the clock, I audited the first two hours of the class, taking notes.  By the end of the two hours--you guessed it--I felt I needed to paint the cute couple. So, to the back room I went, picked out another piece and began prepping, again.  I stayed there til about 3:30 pm and had all the other pieces prepped as well.  Then I went back to my seat and began painting the Owl and the PussyCat.  Tonight I stayed til 9 pm and have the pattern on the Hindenloopen piece and am underway with the O&PC box.

Things I learned:  Edward Lear wrote the poem in the 1800's and became famous for it.  He started a sequel called the "Children of the Owl and the PussyCat" but never finished it.  He also made up a nonsensical word called the "runcible" spoon.  Nowdays there is a runcible spoon.  Their's was silver and was mostly used for pickles, but ours is now known as a "SPORK"  and they are plastic.  I'm sure you've seen them, they have them in the breakfast/dinner room here...half fork, half spoon.  BTW, we had taco makings tonight.

Also learned that Henry VIII was fond of "StarGazy Pies."  This is a pie made of whole pilchards (fish like sardine) and they made the pie of them and pull the heads up through the top crust so they looked like they were gazing at the stars....   Dennis asked what they did with the bones, but Barbara Mills said they have very soft bones like the sardine, so you just eat them....  Hope you've already had breakfast and this isn't too much information!

Dennis has been walking to Old Town Eureka each day. There are two "tall ships" in the bay for the week. You can board and inspect. They are fully functioning ships with a live in crew. They also have an agenda of appearances throughout the year.

Not such a short note afterall...  and BTW, it is Noella Albertazzi.  No wonder I couldn't remember her last name!!  She's a great seat mate though, we haven't painted together for several years, so we're catching up now.
'nite all,
Vicki

Comments