Journals and Sketchbooks Who Needs Them? #1

I need them, and I think you might too!

Most of us have a "love or ignore" relationship with our sketchbooks and journals.  I love the concept, the paper, and everything about them.  I'm very picky about the size, the weight of the paper, and the binding.  That's probably why I have so many of them.  I surprised myself by counting  28 within easy access in my studio and office.  Some are filled up, but not all!  Does that upset me? Nope.


Hopefully this post will loosen up the inhibitions, and give you lots of support for wanting to use yours.  You do have at least one, right?

A very long time ago I picked up a book called A Life In Hand: Creating the Illuminated Journal by Hannah Hinchman ©1991.  I loved it!  It was the first time I had an inkling that journals and sketchbooks were not required to be "works of art."  An excerpt:
“Just begin. Any day, any moment. There need be no occasion, no noteworthy event. Think of your beginning as the point where a tossed pebble hits the surface of a pond. Changes and discoveries will widen out endlessly from just such a small point. Take your life as it is, and go from there.”-Hannah Hinchman, A Life in Hand: Creating the Illuminated Journal. 
And there is was..."just begin."  Hinchman goes on to say that our internal taskmaster will try to discourage any form of creativity, imagination and play, those things we so need to complete us. So, to circumvent that noisy left brain, she suggests that we just begin to use our journal to make lists, copy recipes, take notes, doodle, and basically get comfortable with it.  Maybe you may want to log information on a daily basis on some interest.  

This was a very liberating suggestion to me.   I grabbed up a book and took it with me on a road trip beginning with just very simple notes and scribbles. Thus began my collection.    

A great site full of articles and ideas can be found here:


Some reasons why you should keep a journal sketch book are listed on the page: 
    • "Why it is Valuable to Keep a Sketchbook or Visual Journal
    1. Keeping a daily sketchbook helps you to see and be present in the world.
    2. Keeping a sketchbook helps your ideas grow and helps you develop new ones.
    3. Keeping a sketchbook helps you make connections and fosters creativity.
    4. Keeping a sketchbook improves your drawing ability and observational skills.
    5. A sketchbook is an excellent source for ideas during those times when your creativity runs dry.
    6. A sketchbook is portable. You always have a studio with you. You always have a place to work. 
    7. A sketchbook is a good place to try out new techniques and materials.
    8. A sketchbook is fertile ground for happy accidents - those unforeseen and unplanned creative discoveries or beautiful passages -  to occur. "
                    (In addition, there are many other valuable page links to follow.)  

Now let's talk about THE sketchbook/journal.  What kind is best for you?  Touch them all, pick them up, turn pages, look at the color of the paper.  Keep in mind that everyone is different;  you may like an entirely different kind than I like, and that is perfectly ok!  The important thing is to really like it.  

Today the price of paper has risen sharply (hello, paper towels???)  You may not treat a really expensive one any better than a lower priced one; avoid buyers remorse!

This is what I like in a sketchbook:
  1. Blank pages that lay open nicely 
  2. Off white paper, over 60# 
  3. Hardbound  (because they look nicer on a shelf)
  4. Stitched binding
  5. Paintable cover (I will paint it, maybe not before I start it).
Soon I'm leaving on a trip.  Yep, I have yet another book.  This time the cover is already painted and it is smaller, 8.75 x 5.75 x 1" with 65# off white paper.  Tonight I am going to swish some thin washes over many of the papers because I have discovered that "white" stops me.  I will feel more comfortable if the paper already has some color on it.  Since I will be locked into an airline seat for a very long time, I've collected some colored pencils, watercolor pencils, and watercolor ink papers to play with.  

Artistic lettering has become a big thing.  It's friendly to read.  I downloaded a little movie lesson on the stylized lettering and will give it a play.  Also, I have some quotes collected on my iPad that will be easy to access for inspiration.  I'm ready!

Hopefully this dialog will inspire you to get close and personal with your own book.  When my grandchildren asked me if they could sketch in my book I hand it over to them.  What a joy that is!
AND VERY IMPORTANT:  date every page that you use; especially if you have several books that you randomly use.

I have more to say...to be continued another day....  Let me know how you go with yours :-) 

Left:  A little drawing lesson with grandchildren on a car trip in 2000.  Kenzie is now 25 and the gorgeous mother of two sweet baby girls.  A memory preserved here!



Comments

I found you on Find Your Flow. I'm also a sketchbook visual journaler and have taught it. (pretty much retired from teaching these days.) Hannah' s book and those of Clare Walker Leslie opened new worlds for me. Also Frederick Franck. I have a blog here on Blogger called Sketchbook Wandering. Anyway, see you over at FYF. What a great program that is!! And I am enjoying your posts there. Rita