Helan Barrick, Interview of a Master Decorative Artist

Helan Barrick is a greatly loved and admired teacher, holder of the title "Master Decorative Artist." I have been blessed to take many classes from her.  Here is a little peek into her art and inspiration.


Background:

Why did you begin painting?     
I grew up in Oregon and Washington,  watching my Grandma Shultz paint - snow scenes, beach and ocean scenes, etc.  Loved the  smell of oils and turps!

Do you feel you came from an artistic family? 
Very much so.  Grandma Shultz painted nearly all her life...and taught several of her grown daughters and sons (my aunts and uncles).  So I just naturally assumed someday I , too, would paint.

What type of paints have you used ?
Oils, acrylics, watercolors, tempuras and pastels.

Do you have a preference? 
Well, I always thought oils were (and still do) but I've been painting in acrylics for so long now, it would be a toss up.

Did you have art training?    
I've taken classes from many teachers...

If so, is there a  teacher you feel has influenced you the most?  
Virginia Rodecker Jarboe and Jo Sonja Jansen.

How do you describe the type of painting you are known for? How do you categorize it? 
Technically it would be described as 'decorative painting' - painting on useful items, ie furniture, boxes, tinware, canvas, fabrics,  paper etc. My subjects in painting are general designs featuring children and other figures, combining oil and watercolor techniques.


Creating:

When you are creating, where do you start?
Topic is first concern.  Children doing things children do - playing, exploring, singing, dancing,entertaining.  As I am drawing....I'm also thinking about the type of piece/surface that would fit in with the subject - ie Amish ladies quilting painted on a quilt chest;  kids in school - painted on a school desk,  Girl kneading bread - painted on a bread box, etc.  you see the idea.

Do you sketch out your plan in advance or in a sketchbook or on paper?
Usually on paper, or napkins, brown paper bag,  backs of envelopes, etc.

Do you use sketchbooks? 
Yes, sketching ideas, shapes, items, thoughts, locations, time of year, holidays,  etc.

Do you have a favorite color you like to work with?
I like all colors, warms, cools, monotones.  Love to paint on backgrounds of stains, shades of blues, greens, black, red.

Do you have a favorite technique?
Love the strong focus on the figures and the fading, and disappearing for backgrounds and surrounding areas.    I like varying the techniques of application - smoother, finer details in faces, free, wispy treatment of hair, looser touches in clothing, with backgrounds having the least details or color strength.

What are your favorite subjects?
Children, of course, in rural settings,  beach, schoolroom, , etc - in different seasons and holidays...love Halloween and Christmas.

What do you do to come up with new ideas for patterns or classes?
Remembering my school days, and my kids out playing, at the beach, the farm, birthdays, school plays, going to Grandmas, kids playing.  I remember, in Oregon, hiding with my cousin under the 'bunch grass'  as my Aunt Cleo kept calling us to come take our dreaded piano lesson,,,ugh!  Oh how I wish I hadn't done that now!

Do you ever experience "artist block?"   -  Oh yeah. 

Do you have a trick to break the block?
Several  -  When we used to live near the dear little town of Chagrin Falls, Ohio,  I would drive in to town, park the car and spend the morning or afternoon wandering in and out of the cute little shops, stand on the bridge watching the falls,  eating ice cream from the popcorn shop, etc.  Other times I would drive out to the Amish country (Middlefield, Oh.), and watch the horse drawn buggies, the kids walking to their Amish schools, lunch pails in hand, mothers hanging laundry on the lines to dry,  the men with their horses plowing the fields, wander thru the Amish quilt shops, etc....oh yeah! 

Teaching:

How long have you been a teacher of painting?
Since 1966...that's 48 years!

What is your greatest reward in teaching?
Oh by far making friends with so many dear people,  hearing their stories, seeing them year after year, just realizing the lives we have all touched from all over the world.

Do you have any frustrations with students?
note:  I remember one time you told Jeanie Serveau that if we wouldn't work at learning your dabby technique that there was no need for you to come back.  We were all using slick bottle paints and side loading smooth floats.  We didn't "get" the messy kids clothes in our heads. I was shocked into seeing it from your point of view, and started paying more attention.

*****I would say "dabby" kids clothes (rather than 'messy'.  Ha). In some areas, 'dabby' painting is so much more effective and interesting than super smooth or transparent floating of color. 


Currently:

Do you have a website?

Where are your designs available? 
There are still some shops carrying my books.  They can also order from me.  I have lots of pattern packets available.  I don't sell them to distributors because of the huge discounts they have to have...and all the packets are totally hand assembled making it impossible to wholesale them.

Do you still have books available to purchase?
Yes, these books are still available:

Angel Twigs, #1
Country Tin Whippersnappers,  #3
Painters Pleasure, #2 and 4 
Fairytale Whippersnappers,  #3
Horsefeathers
Whippersnappers,  #14 and 15
All priced at $12.00 each

note:  many patterns are available on Helan's website, and in addition

What magazines have you published designs in?
Decorative Painter, Artist's Journal, PaintWorks, Painting

Do you have any finished art for sale?  If so where?   
Only if I get serious about  it!

Do you have new pattern designs coming? If so, where?
Will be working on some new items.  Also have many of the seminar designs that will be going in to packet form.

Comments